If this message displays incorrectly, please view the web page

Highlights of the past year

Wright Caughman  
Wright Caughman  
August 27, 2015

Thank you

Just over a year ago, I announced my decision to step down from the position of Executive Vice President for Health Affairs (EVPHA). As the search for a successor continues and a highly experienced health sciences leader, Mike Johns, has agreed to serve as interim EVPHA, I will finally take that bittersweet step on Monday, August 31.

When I first announced my intention to step down, I cited a milestone birthday, a 40th anniversary, and the birth of my third grandchild as contributing factors. Well, I'm another year older, Alison and I have been married a year longer, and we recently celebrated the birth of grandchild number five. Our family is ready for me to pursue my commitment to Emory in a different way—as a professor, as a clinician, and as an advocate for academic health sciences—and the Woodruff Health Sciences Center is ready for a new leader who shares our vision and values and who will be able to commit to serving in the role for many years to come.

Throughout my tenure as your EVPHA, I have had the honor of witnessing accomplishment after accomplishment, milestone after milestone, success after success within WHSC. Without question, the one I treasure most, and of which I am most proud, is the deep and abiding commitment to the people we are privileged to serve. That commitment underlies every accomplishment, every milestone, every success. Across all units of the WHSC, across all disciplines and professions, I have seen your compassion for people in need transform lives for our patients and their families, for our students, and for society.

For the last time as EVPHA, thank you for all that you do for the Woodruff Health Sciences Center, for Emory, and for all the people who depend on us. Your work inspires and humbles me, and it has been my great privilege to serve you in this role and to continue serving you in my new capacity in the years to come.

S. Wright Caughman, MD
Executive VP for Health Affairs

emory university WHSC past issues forward contact us WHSC emory university WHSC update