Helping transform Grady and the lives of its patients


Last year, Emory physicians provided more than $22.3 million in uncompensated care at publicly funded Grady Memorial Hospital, where Emory medical faculty are responsible for 85% of physician care (Morehouse School of Medicine covers the other 15%). As more and more Atlantans lost jobs and insurance during the mounting financial crisis, the hospital’s historical role as a “safety net” for the community became even more critical.


Helping transform Grady and the lives of its patients 

An afternoon in the ER

Removing fear from memories

Helping battered women

Just two years ago, the 118-year-old hospital was on the verge of financial collapse, which would have been a disaster not only for Grady’s patients and their families but also for the city’s health system and its overall economy. In recent months, however, new leadership at Grady and financial support from the community—including a $20 million debt forgiveness on the part of Emory—started paying off. Despite a 7% increase in uninsured patients, a cut in state trauma funding, and a 25% increase in indigent and charity care, Grady is operating in the black for the first time in years.

Emory medical faculty—and their willingness to provide vast amounts of unreimbursed care—make possible the staggering number of patients seen at Grady: 26,700 admissions and 616,271 outpatient and emergency services last year. Any payments Emory physicians do receive go to the Emory Medical Care Foundation, which invests every cent to support Emory’s patient services at Grady. In fiscal year 2009-2010, this meant $36 million was used to upgrade equipment and support vital services provided by Emory doctors working at the hospital.

Table of Contents

emory ce cover